June 25, 2013

HOw yOu can say "NO" to your BOss

Typical situation
Boss: ".... do it!"
Collaborator: "Ok, but ..."
Boss: "No discussion, do it!"
Collaborator: "I don't want to discuss, I want to advise you on potential threats..."
Boss: "I already know all that can be usefull, execute it!"
Collaborator: " Ok, I'm executing your request but...."

A way to say NO
Boss: "..... do it!"
Collaborator: "Ok Boss, I do it soon!" ... " I have a doubt: Did you decide to change our roles in the company organization?"
Boss: "What?"
Collaborator: "If I execute your request we'll spend next days trying to solve the related problems." "We aren't a customer service dept., we are the sales dept.". "Who will take care of our clients?"
Boss: "Maybe you are right. Do you have another solution?"
Collaborator: "First of all we have to stop the process then we ........."

Another way
Boss: "..... do it!"
Collaborator: "Ok Boss, I do it soon!" ... "Sorry, It's hardly possible to do it?"
Boss: "What?"
Collaborator: "If I execute your request we'll lose our  incentives". "I need that money!"
Boss: "am I loosing my bonus?". Do you have another solution?"
Collaborator: "First of all we have to stop the process then we have to analyze  ........."


Obviously these are only three examples, they don't coverage all situations but they want to suggest you that, if you want to say "NO" to your boss, you have to attract his attention on interesting arguments for him such as his "money", his "role", who is the "decision maker" and so on.

In this way he will pay attention to your advices indeed he will ask you some suggestions.

No comments: